And you who were dead in trespasses and in the uncircumcision of your flesh (your sensuality, your sinful carnal nature), [God] brought to life together with [Christ], having [freely] forgiven us all our transgressions, having cancelled and blotted out and wiped away the handwriting of the note (bond) with its legal decrees and demands which was in force and stood against us (hostile to us). This [note with its regulations, decrees, and demands] He set aside and cleared completely out of our way by nailing it to [His] cross. [God] disarmed the principalities and powers that were ranged against us and made a bold display and public example of them, in triumphing over them in Him and in it [the cross]. Amplified Bible
THE CONDITION OF MAN – SIN AND DEATH
- Man’s concept of sin is different than God’s as stated in the Bible. Man does not see sin as a violation of God’s will. This simply shows how weak man and his ideas and thinking are in comparison to God. Man looks at sin and calls it
- Human error
- Personal slip
- Moral flaw
- Physical failure
- Character defect
- Labeling sin something other than it is – sin – does not change it in God’s eyes, nor does it change the penalty for sin. We may blame sin or whatever we choose to call it – the result of our environment, training, heritage, and/or belief or a combination of these. Whatever we call sin or what ever we blame it on does not really matter. In God’s eyes sin is sin. Sin is a violation of God’s law or will. Sin is also rebellion and insurrection against Him and the way He has told mankind to live.
SAY NO TO SIN AND YES TO GOD!!
- Man’s view of death, the penalty for sin, also varies according to a person’s background and beliefs. Some of the views of death that man has come up with are
- Ceasing to exist
- Passing into oblivion
- A semi-conscious state
- A deep sleep
- Reincarnation into another form of life
- Moving into another dimension
- Most of men’s ideas about death involve either denial of a life hereafter or else another chance to work oneself into the favor of God. All of man’s ideas and concepts of sin and death are based on man’s knowledge, man’s ability, man’s energy, and man’s power to somehow make himself acceptable to God. If mankind could make himself acceptable to God, then Christ died in vain. But He did die and we cannot make ourselves acceptable.
- If there was something I could do on my own, there was no reason for Christ to go to the cross. But He did go to the cross and we cannot atone for our sins.
- There would have been no need for the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ to give of Himself on the cross for our sins. But He did!
- There would have been no need for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ to give of His blood for the redemption of fallen man. But He did!
- There would have been no need for our precious Lord, our Healer to take upon Himself stripes on His back for our healing. But He did!
- There would have been no need for our provider, Jesus Christ the Righteous, to cry out to the Father in heaven asking pardon for you and I. But He did!
- There would have been no need for our Savior, Jesus Christ, to suffer pain and torment at the hands of wicked men so that we might have everlasting freedom. But He did!
- We cannot help ourselves so Christ gave Himself on the cross.
THE CONDITION OF MAN BECAUSE OF THE SACRIFICE ON THE CROSS
- Man has a chance for new life because of the cross.
- Man has a chance for new life because of Christ’s sacrifice.
- Man has a chance if he will repent of his sins and change his way of living.
- Man has a chance if he will surrender to God.
- Man has a chance if he will throw himself on the mercy of God.
- Man has a chance if he will submit to God.
- Because of the cross I
- Have new life
- Hope eternal
- I am free
John 5:24 – Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
Ephesians 2:1-8 – And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once con-ducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others. But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
Isaiah 53:6 – All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned, everyone, to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.
Romans 6:23 – The wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life.
Romans 8:6 – To be carnally (fleshly) (worldly) minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
CHRIST IS OUR HOPE
- All requirements of the Law were fulfilled in Jesus Christ
- 613 laws of Moses
- 248 prohibitions – “Thou shall not”
- 365 affirmations – “Thou shall”
- There is no need for us to go back to the Law of Moses and try to follow all those requirements, holidays, holy days, dietary laws, purification laws, sacrificing laws. The Pharisees tried to keep the Law. They could not! The Law pointed toward Jesus Christ and since He has appeared these laws are no longer needed. It is just like you receive a gift at Christmas or a birthday or for some other day or occasion. After the gift is opened and you have taken it for yourself and begin to enjoy it, you no longer keep the package or the wrapping paper that it came in. That is not the important part of the gift. The gift came in the package. The gift was not the package. Christ is now here. He was and is God’s gift to fallen man. He is our Hope; our only Hope.
- All the guilt charges, all the condemnation, all the crimes heaped against you and I, and all mankind from the beginning of creation were nailed to the cross. He was saying my blood is enough to do away with them all. The sacrificial lambs all pointed toward this day but they could only cover the sin. I’m cleansing it; I’m washing it away for all time. Just receive it. It is finished. He conquered it all…He made a public display of the fact that your sins and mine were nailed to the cross, triumphing over all principalities, powers, evil forces, demonic foes that might come against you. Christ conquered all that. So why do we feel defeated? There is no need. You are set free in Jesus Christ. Just receive it. Just believe it.
Romans 8:1 – There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
Romans 8:37 – I am more than a conqueror through Him (Christ Jesus) who loved us (me).
John 12:31-32 – Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out. And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.
Hebrews 3:14-15 – “Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.”
1 John 3:8b – For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.
John 3:16 – For God so loved the world (me, you, all mankind), that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever (me, you, all mankind that will receive) believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.