Matthew 6:9-13 – The Lord’s Prayer
2 Chronicles 7:24 – If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
1 Samuel 12:23 – Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you.
James 5:16 – Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
1 Timothy 2:8 – I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
1 Thessalonians 5:17 – pray without ceasing.
Luke 22:46 – Then He said to them, “Why do you sleep? Rise and pray, lest you enter into temptation.”
Luke 10:2 – Then He said to them, “The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.
Luke 6:28 – bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you.
Luke 21:36 – Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.
E. M. Bounds – “Holy characters are formed by the power of real praying. The more of praying, the more of true saints.”
Some ideas for your prayer time: These are suggestions. Of course, each individual has to find what works best for them – but do pray.
- Prepare for your time of prayer. Try to pray an hour each day. Start with twenty minute increments at different times of the day.
- Set aside a specific time each day for your prayer time, preferably in the early morning.
- Be sure to turn your cell phone off and try to eliminate all distractions when beginning your prayer time.
- Keep a prayer journal. Use different colored pencils to indicate different types of needs; red for salvation, blue for physical healing, green for financial needs, etc.
- List your prayer needs specifically and by date.
- Continue praying about specific needs until they are answered.
- Jot the date a specific prayer is answered.
- Be sure to give God thanks for answered prayer.
- Expect that as you begin to get organized in your praying that there will be interruptions and distractions but continue praying.
- Expect that God will dramatically change your life as you are obedient to continue praying.
E. M. Bounds – “Units of prayer combined, like drops of water, make an ocean which defies resistance.”
Some rules for your prayers to be effective:
- Pray prayers following confession and renunciation of all sins specifically. Forgive those who have wronged you and ask forgiveness of those whom you are at odds with.
- Pray prayers with a heart of gratitude and thanksgiving knowing that all good things come from and through Him.
- Pray prayers following a time of reading and meditating on the Word.
- Pray prayers that are according to God’s will. His will is His Word.
- Pray prayers in boldness and faith, believing that God hears and will answer your prayers.
- Pray specifically for the need, not in vague terms, but identify each need in detail.
- Pray prayers for the right motives, not for selfish gain, but for the glory of God.
- Pray prayers and submit to God and His will as He answers in His time frame.
- Pray prayers that require God’s intervention.
- Pray continuously, even when you do not have any needs, and not just in time of crisis.
- Pray with the understanding that all answers to prayer come from God and it is to Him you must give thanks.
- Pray prayers in the Name of Jesus.
Don’t expect a million dollar answer from a ten cent prayer.
Make a specific list of recurring prayer needs: Again, your list will be personal, but creating a list helps keep you focused on the needs to be prayed for.
- I will pray each day for our country, our president, and our military.
- I will pray each day for our missionaries serving around the world.
- I will pray each day for those who are in need.
- I will pray each day for our church and our pastor.
- I will pray each day for children and young people.
- I will pray each day for those who do not know Jesus as Lord.
- I will pray each day for those babies, yet unborn, whose lives are in peril.
- I will pray each day for families to be united.
- I will pray each day for those addicted to alcohol, drugs, pornography and other lifestyle choices not pleasing to God.
A – ADORATION
C – CONFESSION
T – THANKSGIVING
S – SUPPLICATION