Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them. When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted. And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen
But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were loosed. And the keeper of the prison, awaking from sleep and seeing the prison doors open, supposing the prisoners had fled, drew his sword and was about to kill himself. But Paul called with a loud voice, saying, “Do yourself no harm, for we are all here.” Then he called for a light, ran in, and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas. And he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.” Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he and all his family were baptized. Now when he had brought them into his house, he set food before them; and he rejoiced, having believed in God with all his household.
The Great Commission – The followers of Jesus were given a task to do
- Make disciples
- Teach others to do what Jesus had taught them
And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
Signs will follow those who believe
Power was given
Luke 24:46-49 – Then He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And you are witnesses of these things. Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.”
Promise of Holy Spirit was given to those who believe
Acts 1:8 – But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
Acts 2:4 – And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Throughout the remainder of the Book of Acts and the rest of the New Testament we see that power was manifested through the disciples and the followers of Jesus. There were several things common to almost everywhere the followers of Jesus went.
- Dependence on God’s Word
- Trust in God
- No fear
- Total commitment
Questions we need to ask ourselves as proclaimed followers of Jesus Christ
- How is your boldness? Do you speak of Christ when you have an opportunity?
- How is your power? Have you prayed lately?
- How is your holiness? Are you living for Jesus like Jesus would have you to live?
- How is your integrity? Are you honest and forthright?
- How is your faithfulness? Are you faithful in every walk of life?
- How is your dependency on the Word? Do you hide God’s Word in your heart?
- How is your uncompromising? Do you bend and twist with what others think or are you true to your convictions?
- How is your love? Do you love others as you do yourself?
- How is your trust in God? Do you rely on God or on yourself or others?
- How is your no fear? When Christ comes in, fear must flee.
- How is your obedience? Do you do what is right and what God directs you to do?
- How is your total commitment? Is serving God the number one focus in your life?