To the angel of the church of Ephesus write, ‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: “I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent.
- Courtship with spouse
- Starts out with ‘There’s nothing, there’s nobody else but you darling. Then, there’s Monday night football, fishing and hunting with the guys, shopping trips with the girls, etc. etc.
- Over a long period of time, the church in Ephesus had steadfastly refused to tolerate sin among its members. This was not easy in a city noted for the immoral sexual practices associated with the worship of the goddess Diana. We also are living in times of widespread sin and sexual immortality. It is popular to be open-minded toward many types of sin, calling them personal choices or alternative life-styles. But when the body of believers begins to tolerate sin in the church, they are lowering the standards and compromising the church’s witness. Remember, God’s approval is infinitely more important than the world’s.
- Working at our relationship
- Budgets, growing families, time pressures. At times we lose it; we have no more patience, no more love, the war is on.
- Christ commends the church at Ephesus for working hard, being patient, resisting sin, critically examining the claims of false apostle and suffering patiently without quitting. Every church should have these characteristics. But these good efforts should spring from our love for Jesus Christ Both Jesus and John stressed brotherly love as an authentic proof of the gospel. In the battle for maintaining sound teaching and moral and doctrinal purity, it is possible to lose a charitable spirit. Prolonged conflict can weaken or destroy our patience and affection. In defending the faith, guard against any structure or rigidity that weakens love.
John 13:34-35 – A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
1 John 3:18-19 – My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him.
- Honeymoon is over
- First love is gone.
- Paul had once commended the church at Ephesus for its love for God and others, but many of the church founders had died, and the second-generation believers had lost their zeal for God. They were a busy church, the members did much to benefit themselves and the community, but they were acting for the wrong reasons. Work for God must be motivated by love for God or it will not last.
- Settling in
- We lose sight of our initial excitement. There is no more enthusiasm. (Meat loaf again.)
- Just as when a man and woman fall in love, so also new believers rejoice at their new-found forgiveness. But when we lose sight of the seriousness of sin, we begin to lose the thrill of our forgiveness. In the first steps of your Christian life, you may have had enthusiasm without knowledge. Do you now have knowledge without enthusiasm? Both are necessary if we are to keep love for God intense and untarnished. Do you love God with the same fervor as when you were a new Christian?
2 Peter 1:5-9 – But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
Hebrews 10:32-35 – But recall the former days in which, after you were illuminated, you endured a great struggle with sufferings: partly while you were made a spectacle both by reproaches and tribulations, and partly while you became companions of those who were so treated; for you had compassion on me in my chains, and joyfully accepted the plundering of your goods, knowing that you have a better and an enduring possession for yourselves in heaven. Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward.
- Don’t give up
- He/She still loves you. After an argument, make up.
- For Jesus to “remove your lampstand from its place” would mean the church would cease to be an effective church. Just as the seven-branched candlestick in the temple gave light for the priests to see, the churches were to give light to their surrounding communities. But Jesus warned them that their lights could go out. In fact, Jesus Himself would extinguish any light that did not fulfill His purpose. The church had to repent of its sins.