Mark 1:15 – and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.”
- Repent – The word “repent” in the Bible means more than being sorry. It means “a turning around.” It involves both turning from our old way of living and turning to God. Jesus began His ministry with this call to repent. The reason for this need of repentance (change of living) is that Jesus has come to usher in the Kingdom of God. A total change of purpose and living would be required to be a part of this kingdom of God.
- In order to really repent and be a part of God’s kingdom required belief. A total and complete confidence in the message of Jesus Christ. The story of Charles Blondin illustrates what true belief in Jesus Christ is all about. The story is told that Blondin walked 160 feet above the falls between Canada and the United States. After crossing to the United States he then returned to Canada pushing a wheelbarrow while blindfolded. It is said that he asked his audience “Do you beliee I can carry a person across in this wheelbarrow?” The crowd enthusiacally shouted “Yes!” Blondin then asked “Who will get in the wheelbarrow?” Nobody was willing to do that. Their faith was not total and complete. Jesus is asking us to “get in the wheelbarrow” and trust Him to take us safely across.
- Jesus declared that the time was fulfilled. The perfect time for the Son of God to come..
Galatians 4:4-7 – But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
- There are several reasons we might see that Jesus came at this particular time in history. At that time there was an international language that all the citizens of the empire spoke – Greek. The Roman Empire had created a great road system and there was peace making travel easy. Although these are reasons that we might think made this the “fullness of time” ultimately we cannot know for certain why God felt this was the time.
- God sent Jesus for one purpose – to make us his sons and daughters and to thereby have a relationship with Him.
- We must accept that redemption
- We must believe in the Gospel – the Good News
- We must believe and receive
Galatians 3:26 – For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
- Repent and believe in the Gospel
- Repent – to change one’s way of living; to confess wrong; to change one’s mind or purpose – Turning from sin – turning to God
- Believe – commit; entrust; agree; obey; persuade; trust; yield
2 Timothy 1:12 – For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.