1 Timothy 6:11-14
But as for you, O man of God, flee from all these things; aim at and pursue righteousness (right standing with God and true goodness), godliness (which is the loving fear of God and being Christ like), faith, love, steadfastness (patience), and gentleness of heart. Fight the good fight of the faith; lay hold of the eternal life to which you were summoned and [for which] you confessed the good confession [of faith] before many witnesses. In the presence of God, Who preserves alive all living things, and of Christ Jesus, Who in His testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I [solemnly] charge you to keep all His precepts unsullied and flawless, irreproachable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ (the Anointed One), (The Amplified Bible)
- Flee from all these things “O man of God” – talking to the church
- Weary discussion
- Perpetual friction
Galatians 5:1 – Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
Galatians 5:16 – I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
Romans 8:1 – There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
- Aim at – pursue – strive toward – grasp with all your might
- Right standing with God
- True goodness
- Godliness (the loving fear of God and being Christ like)
- Steadfastness (patience)
- Gentleness of heart
- Fight the good fight of faith (spiritual warfare)
- Lay hold of the eternal life to which you were summoned (called)
- Lay hold of the eternal life to which you have made a good confession (declared openly that Christ is your Lord and Master
- I urge you – implore you – give it all you have got
- Keep your commitment to God
- Without spot
- How do we accomplish all this? Through the power of prayers and fasting
1 Timothy 2:1-2 – Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.