Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
I have posted seven articles on the Whole Armor of God. I hope you will take time to read them. As you read them – or as you just study the passage in Ephesians listed above some application tips.
In Ephesians 6 we are told to:
- “Take up” the whole armor of God
- “Stand” with a girdle of truth.
- “Stand” with breastplate of righteousness.
- “Put on shoes” (your foundation) of the Gospel.
- “Take” the shield of faith.
- “Take” the helmet of salvation.
- “Take” the sword of the Spirit, the word of God.
- “Praying always” with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit.
- “Be watchful” with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.
Some questions to be asked during your reading of your Bible are as follows.
- Is there an example for me to follow?
- Is there a sin for me to avoid?
- Is there a command for me to obey?
- Is there a promise for me to claim?
- What does this passage tell me about the Holy Spirit, about Jesus, about God?
- What prayer should I pray in light of this Scripture?
- What action do I need to take to avoid, to correct, to ensure my obedience to this Scripture?
- What action do I need to take to avoid, to correct, to ensure that I will not be tempted to do wrong?