But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh. Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, to God our Savior, who alone is wise, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forever. Amen.
Jude 1:1-3 – Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ: Mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you. Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.
- We who have been called by God, sanctified in holiness, must continually fight the fight of faith. We must preserve lest we fall away from the truth into apostasy. We have been given armor from God for this fight.
Ephesians 6:10-20 – Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
- We must be careful to never alter the message of Christ’s redemption, changing the Word of God to fit into our own desires. We must be on guard against false teachers who might lead us astray.
Jude 1:4 – For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.
Matthew 24:24 – For false Christ’s and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.
- We must be careful that we do not allow the desires of our flesh to lead us astray. Obey those who have taught you the truth and do not mistake their love for you when they preach correctness and godly purpose in your life.
Jude 1:8 – Likewise also these dreamers defile the flesh, reject authority, and speak evil of dignitaries.
- We must be careful not to constantly be a critic of those who are trying to show us the way to really live. We are not the sole authority on God’s Word. We need to listen to what we are being taught from teachers who are teaching the truth.
Jude 1:9-10 – Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves.
- We must not be divisive, pitting one of our fellow Christians against another. We must avoid those who cause divisions and make sure that we are seeking and following the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Jude 1:19 – how they told you that there would be mockers in the last time who would walk according to their own ungodly lusts. These are sensual persons, who cause divisions, not having the Spirit.