O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you as crucified? This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh? Have you suffered so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain?
Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?— just as Abraham “believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.
A BELIEVER CORRECTS ERROR
Galatians 4:16 – Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth?
- Error causes misunderstanding and thoughtlessness
- Error deceives
- Error either leads to disobedience or comes about because of disobedience
A BELIEVER RECEIVES THE HOLY SPIRIT BY FAITH
- First the message must be heard.
Romans 10:14-15a, 17 – How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent?….So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God
- The Holy Spirit is a gift of God.
John 14:16 – And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Helper…
A BELIEVER IS A SPIRITUAL SON OF ABRAHAM
- Abraham was counted righteous because he believed God’s promises.
Galatians 3:28 – There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 4:4-6 – But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out ‘abba, Father!
- Abraham had done no works at the time he believed
- Abraham’s faith led him to do what God has instructed him.
- His faith preceded his obedience
- It is not obedience = faith and repentance = our righteousness
- It is faith and repentance = righteousness of God = obedience