I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.
For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.
THE GOSPEL – WHAT IS IT?
- The Bible, God’s Word and His message is not “a gospel,” and not “one of many gospels.” It is THE GOSPEL!
- Old adage: “If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, talks like a duck, then it must be a duck.” Just because it looks like the truth, sounds like the truth, and is dressed up in religious garb doesn’t mean it is the truth.
- It is NOT TRUE that it really doesn’t matter what you believe, as long as you are sincere. IT DOES MATTER:
Revelations 22:18-19 – For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Deuteronomy 4:2 – You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.
John 14:6 – Jesus said to them, I am the way the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Ephesians 4:4-6 – There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
John 10:16 – And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.
OTHER SO CALLED GOSPELS:
- Moslem – The Moslems have a book called the Koran. Their founder was Mohammed and they call their God Allah. Allah and our Heavenly Father, the First Person of the Blessed Trinity, are not one and the same. Allah, according to the Bible definition, is an idol god. They have a collection of writings, or a holy book to the followers of that faith, it is called the Koran; but IT IS NOT THE GOSPEL!
- Buddhist – Buddhism has a book of the writings of Buddha (not a brother of Jesus Christ as some would suppose). Their book is called the Bhagavad Ghita. IT IS NOT THE GOSPEL.
- Jehovah’s Witness – The father of the Watchtower Society, or Jehovah’s Witness as we know them, devised a book much like the King James Version of the Bible. It is not an accurate translation, nor is it a version of the Bible that we can base our lives on for it is in great error. Its errors are there deliberately to defend and promote the thinking of the warped mind that fashioned it. Without careful scrutiny it appears to be just like the King James Version but certain scriptural passages are changed to promote the false doctrine that it is. IT IS NOT THE GOSPEL.
- LDS – The LDS, or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints or Mormons, have a book called The Book of Mormon. They also have other writings with various names including The Pearl of Great Price and they refer to The Book of Mormon as another Gospel. It is in error based on the writings of one man Joseph Smith who was a bigamist with over 30 wives and is supposedly based on information provided by the Angel Moroni. No proof of which has ever been substantiated. It is not the Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
- In the 2008 Presidential primary of the Republican Party, Mr. Huckabee stated “The Mormons believe Jesus and Satan are brothers.” Of course, it caused uproar from many, especially the Romney supporters. It backfired on Mr. Huckabee so he made an apology to smooth ruffled feathers because of “political incorrect statements.” Only one minor problem. Mormons do believe and teach Jesus and Satan are brothers. Are you surprised that a politician would do something like “the truth is not really the truth even though it is the truth?” No wonder we are all fed up with politicians.
Galatians 1:8-9 – But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.
- Christian Science teaches that you do not get sick…it’s all in your mind… I suppose that Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of this organization must only think she got sick and died. I do not know about you but when the Word of God declares “I am the Lord Thy God which healeth thee.” must be some kind of indicator that we get sick from time to time. Otherwise, why the need of a Healer?
- The Gospel of Self Sufficiency – My Gospel – It’s all about my interpretation and my thinking. This kind of thinking is flawed. Most of the time this kind of thinking is based on someone’s own justification for sinful acts or sinful lifestyle. It’s based on the attitude “If it feels good – do it.”
- Solomon and all his riches stated in Ecclesiastes 2:10-22 – “Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, for my heart rejoiced in all my labor; then I looked on all the works that my hands had done and on the labor in which I had toiled; and indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun.”
It is not your own private understanding of the Word of God for in II Peter 1:20 it states that “Knowing this first that no prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation.”
- IT IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK. IT IS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE SEEN. IT IS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED…IT IS WHAT THUS SAITH THE LORD!
- REMEMBER THIS: One ounce of arsenic in your thanksgiving turkey will kill you. Following another gospel will separate you from a loving God for all eternity. REMEMBER JIM JONES!
THE GOSPEL OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
- There is only one Gospel message where by men must be saved. There is only one doctrine, one Lord, one Savior – Jesus Christ.
- Hosea 13:4 – I am the Lord your God…and you shall know no God but Me; for there is no Savior besides Me.
- Jesus Christ’s words and the Gospel He taught is the one and only Gospel. It is the Gospel of Good News. The gospel is this:
- Jesus Christ left the splendor of heaven.
- Jesus Christ came in the form of sinful man, yet without sin.
- Jesus Christ came as a servant.
- Jesus Christ hung on the cross.
- Jesus Christ gave His life for you and for me.
- Jesus Christ defeated death.
- Jesus Christ rose again from the grave.
- Jesus Christ was victorious over death.
Jesus Christ’s message was the Gospel, the truth, the only Gospel. It is our only hope.
Because He was victorious over death we have forgiveness of sin.
Because He was victorious over death we have the hope of heaven.
Because He was victorious over death we are victorious in life.
Because He lives I live also.
The Gospel of the Lord Jesus is the only Gospel
- This Gospel is true.
- This Gospel will stand the test of time.
- This Gospel will never change.
- This Gospel will never pass away.
- This Gospel will never pass away.
- This Gospel will guide my every step.
- This Gospel is my rule for living.
- This Gospel is my daily comfort.
- This Gospel is my only hope.
- This Gospel is the sum total of God’s love for all mankind and for all time.
This Gospel is summed up in one verse that most church going folks have learned at an early age:
John 3:16 – For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.